Ending the Silence Trainers Needed
Help Us End the Silence In our Adolescents; Become a Trainer
NAMI Broward is offering free training for one of its most unique and exceptional Signature Programs – Ending the Silence on Friday March 31st at 2017.
Ending the Silence is targeted towards middle and high schooler’s to help them understand mental illness. The program will teach the warning signs for themselves and their friends.
We are looking for trainers for this critical program. If you are:
- a young adult (between the ages of 18 and 35); living with mental illness in recovery;
- an adult who is also a trained teacher/mentor or NAMI Basics, NAMI Family-to-Family, or NAMI Peer-to-Peer; and you are
- willing to present to students in middle and high schools
Why Ending the Silence Matters
- 1 in 5 kids experiences a mental health condition; only 20% of them actually get help
- About 50% of students ages 14+ with a mental health condition will drop out of school
- Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for 15-24 year old
- The earlier the better: early identification and intervention provides better outcomes
Once you are trained we will place you in middle and high schools in Broward County to offer free classroom presentations, where students get to see the reality of living with a mental health condition. During the 50-minute presentation, a young adult living with mental illness and a family member tell their stories about mental health challenges, including what hurt and what helped. Trainers address early warning signs, facts and statistics about youth and mental health conditions as well as when, where, and how to get help for themselves or their friends. It specifically addresses when it is not okay to keep a secret.
NAMI Ending the Silence helps raise awareness and change perceptions around mental health conditions through opening the dialogue with middle and high school students. This program empowers students to understand mental illness and teaches them about the warning signs for themselves and their friends.
For more information call or email us at (954)316-9907 or NAMIBroward@gmail.com
- Date: Friday March 31, 2017
- Time: 9:00 – 4:00 PM (lunch will be served)
- Location: University Pavilion Hospital – Tamarac, FL