Family Members & Caregivers
For caregivers, family members and friends of persons with a diagnosed mental illness. A free, 12-week course for families, partners and friends of individuals with serious mental illness. The course dwells on the emotional responses families have to the trauma of mental illness. The course covers:
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder or manic depression, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
Family to Family classes are offered in English and Spanish.
To learn about the next Family to Family class please fill out the form below. We will have new classes starting up later in the year.
Family Support Groups
The Family Support Groups are offered three times a month for caregivers, family members and friends of persons with a diagnosed mental illness. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances.
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion, and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through other’s experiences, discover your inner strength, and learn how to identify local resources and how to use them.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308
Pembrook Pines, FL 33025
|2nd & 4th Mondays of every month||3rd Saturday of every month|
|Broward Health Imperial Point
6401 N. Federal Highway,
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
|Correct Care Recovery Solutions/
South Florida State Hospital 800 East Cypress Drive,
Pembroke Pines, FL 33025
|954-316-9907 for directions||954-316-9907 for directions|
|In a private room at the Medical Staff
Library at the South Entrance
|Facilitator: Richard||Facilitator: Bettina|