Due To Covid-19, Family-to-Family classes have been put on a temporary hold. Please check back as we will be starting these classes up as soon as we can!
NAMI Broward Family-to-Family is for caregivers, family members and friends of persons with a diagnosed mental illness. A free, Family-to-Family class dates are subject to change.
These classes are designed for families, partners and friends of individuals with serious mental illness. The course dwells on the emotional responses families have to the trauma of mental illness. The course covers:
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder or manic depression, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
Family-to-Family classes are offered in English and Spanish at various times throughout the year.
Please complete the form below and submit to our office. The Family-to-Family class starts at different times throughout the year depending upon number of interested participants and instructor availability. Contact our office at 954-316-9907 for the latest updates.